2014 Miles for Marnie Information
The purpose of the foundation is to provide financial support for and raise awareness of the necessity of finding a cure for all childhood cancers.
About the foundation
The Marnie Jude Foundation was created when Marnie was diagnosed with Stage IV Wilms Tumor. This beautiful, brave, 5 year old little girl endured 2 rounds of chemotherapy, surgery to remove her right kidney, 8 days of radiation and 9 more rounds of chemotherapy. On May 18, 2010, Marnie’s CT scan showed No Evidence of Disease. Marnie continues to be cancer free and is happy, healthy and loving life.
The Marnie Jude Foundation funds Childhood Cancer Research.
- About one in 300 boys and one in 333 girls will develop cancer before the age of 20. - CureSearch Website
- Pediatric Cancer is the leading cause of death by disease among US children ages 1 - 14. The cause of most childhood cancers is largely unknown - National Cancer Institute Website
- In 2008, only 4% of the total National Cancer Institute Budget was used for Pediatric Cancer Funding. - National Cancer Institute, A Snapshot of Pediatric Cancers
- Pediatric Cancer is referred to as an “orphan disease”There is little to no profit to be made by the pharmaceutical companies. For this reason, they ignore pediatric cancers for the most part. - Cookies for Kids’ Cancer Website
- Attempts to detect childhood cancers at an earlier stage, when the disease would react more favorably to treatment, have largely failed. Young patients often have a more advanced stage of cancer when first diagnosed. Approximately 20% of adults with cancer show evidence the disease has spread, yet almost 80% of children show that the cancer has spread to distant sites at the time of diagnosis.
- In the U.S., about 46 children and adolescents are diagnosed with cancer every weekday.
The Marnie Jude Foundation raises money via the annual Miles for Marnie event.
The Marnie Jude Foundation distributes money raised to organizations supporting childhood cancer research. It is the responsibility of the board members to determine how the money is dispensed.
The Marnie Jude Foundation has provided financial support to the following organizations:
Cookies for Kids' Cancer
CureSearch for Children's Cancer